Gentle readers, the cover letter is the first thing a hiring manager (or the person vetting the resumes) sees.
Here's a checklist to help you avoid some common mistakes:
- Did you address the letter to the right person?
- Did you spell their name right?
- Did you make sure to mention the right company?
- Did you specify the job title/posting your going for?
- Did you reference passions, skills and career goals pertinent to the job at hand?
Sure, these seem pretty simple, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't take a moment to pat attention to the detail that their cover letter really needs.
Cover letter posts are always good here at Unemployed Brooklyn. What are some tips you'd like to share? Feel free to leave them in the comments.